Friday, October 12, 2012

Sea Grapes!!

While working one afternoon I saw a car pull off the street across from the entrance to Knights Key RV Resort &Marina. Two women got out and rushed to a tree near Highway US 1. They started picking something off the tree. Yesterday while taking photos for my last post I went across the street to see what they were picking and eating...


The sea grape tree or is it a bush??

 

Looking from the US 1 toward the RV Resort entrance. Sea grape plant is on the left.

 
Sea grapes.
Scientific name:  Cocclloba uvifera.
 
Coccoloba uvifera is a species of flowering plant in the buckwheat family, Polygonaceae, that is native to coastal beaches throughout tropical America and the Caribbean, including southern Florida, the Bahamas, Barbados and Bermuda.
 
 


 
 
 

 
 


 
That's the entrance to Knights Key RV Resort & Marina in the background.
 
So, while out at the highway I took a few more photos...
 



 
 
 


 
You can see how close we are to US 1.
 
Well, I am going to pick some sea grapes and taste one or two!!
 
 
In closing, I will share another neat license plate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment