Sunday, March 31, 2013

Picasa Enhancements

I am trying to learn more about photography in relation to back lighting, shadows, & angles. Also, I wanted to take a look at and compare some of the Picasa enhancements that I can use to improve the look or detail of the images I shoot. Also, "to matte or not to matte"!!

 
 
Image sharpened.


The original shot unframed.
 
 


Uncropped with a simple white matte and black frame.






 
 





 












The above shot I sharpened the original image and used an olive green matte that I think, in this case, enhances the image. Below is the same shot without the matting and also one with a simple white matte and black frame...
 


 


Below are three images of the same shot. The first is "as taken" with no enhancement or lens filters. The second is with "sharpen" enhancement applied once and the third is with "sharpen" applied twice. To me, it is most notable with the leaves of the palm trees. The shot was taken pointing the camera directly into the setting sun. Hence, the reason for the bronze look...

 
 



Below is an acrylic painting by my artist friend, J R Secor, unframed. It is then framed in a narrow black frame followed by a thicker frame. No matte is used or glass covering so the painting can breathe.






Next is photo that our RVing friends Mike & Terry gave me of a lighthouse scene near there home in Michigan. I sharpened the image one application.








Later!!

1 comment:

  1. I like the thicker frame on the painting. Matting can be tricky in that lots of juried exhibitions will only allow an off white mat. I am not a fan of colored mats. People try to mat in a color contained within the piece of art and to me this distracts from the piece of art. Realistically the piece of art should stand on its own - however a double off white mat in photography would be my first choice.

    ReplyDelete