Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fiery Clouds Last Night!!

Last night Doodle, Evin and I rode to the Old 7 Mile Bridge because we anticipated that there would be another brilliant sunset. After midnight there was a storm that had the loudest thunder that we had ever heard in our lives. Storms normally mean brilliant sunsets. Last night Evin saw her first "green flash" this time out and I saw my second. I tried to get it with the Droid; but, the shutter speed is so slow that it is almost impossible. I came close.

I rode my bike several time yesterday and a time or two I left my Droid in the RV. I'll start with what attracted my attention yesterday besides the anticipated sunset. I will end with the "Fiery Clouds" that amazed us last night...

 
Bumble wanted to say, "Hi!!"
 
 
"The LIFEGUARD"  was on duty at the Tiki Bar beach yesterday.
 
 
We got excited when we got to the Old 7 Mile Bridge pedestrian entrance at 7:12:03 PM. That's Evin stopped in awe on her bike on the far left in the photo. Note the sun is setting closer to the bridge. By December, it will be setting on the other side of both of the bridges.
 
 
Taken at 7:13:54 PM.
 
 
Taken at 7:14:14 PM.

 
 
If you enlarge this photo you may or may not see the "green flash". It would be at the horizon below the bright yellow horizontal cloud. It was taken at 7:14:15 PM. Evin and I both saw the flash. Three ladies standing beside us blinked and did not see the optical phenomenon.

NOTE:  If you click on any of the photos it will bring up just the photos without my narrative and the photos will be larger.

There was more to see than the sun setting on the horizon. Evin reminded me to look 360 degrees and this is what the Droid caught...


Evin and Doodle checking out the Gulf of Mexico horizon.
 
 
 
 
Gulf of Mexico side of the Old 7 Mile Bridge.


The Old 7 Mile Bridge railing. The bridge was first used as a railway express to Key West. After severe damage to the railway in the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 it was converted to vehicle traffic as US Highway 1.


Fishing and diving in the Gulf of Mexico.


Looking South toward the Atlantic Ocean over the New 7 Mile Bridge or US Highway 1 just between Mile Markers 47 and 46.


Looking back East toward Knights Key. That is Hawk's Nest Condos on the far right point. The entrance to the pedestrian/bike walk to Pigeon Key is on the very left between the palm trees. That is where I shot the first sunset photo where Evin was on her bike on the left in the photo.

If you look up high left of center you will see that the moon is already high in the sky. Straight behind the power pole in the center of the above photos is where our RV home is parked on Knights Key. If it were not for the trees I could take a photos of our site from the bridge.


After the sun had gone down at 7:22:46 PM. What a fiery cloud show we experienced!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment