Monday, April 13, 2015

Scarlet Claret Cup Hedgehog Cacti!!!!

On Saturday when we drove into Zion Canyon to Springdale, Utah I didn't see the blooming Scarlet Claret Cup Hedgehog Cacti near the Zion National Park campground and Visitor's Center. Yesterday, we decided to take the PUPS on a drive and retrace our steps on the PATH we came in on. I stopped to take a photo of the Zion National Park campground and by chance spied a red cactus bloom. Was I ever in for a surprise...





This is where we parked. I wanted to take a photo of the mountains and trees. In the traffic median is where I spied the red cactus bloom!!!!




























According to DesertUSA:  There are several common names for the Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus:  Kingcup  Cactus and Mojave Mound Cactus.

The fruit is juicy and edible with deciduous spines. The flowers are pollinated by hummingbirds. The flowers stay open at night, unlike many other species of cacti whose flowers close in the evening. The flowers last three to five days.

Some Native American groups collected the Claret Cup's stems, burned off the spines and mashed the stems. Sugar was then added to the mix and baked to form sweet cakes.












































Hey my friend, "Brother Bill", have I got you "seeing RED" yet?!?!? 38 of the 39 photos are of a single type of flower. I just couldn't help myself!! I can see you rolling your eyes and shrugging your shoulders. Howard would say, "Sheesh"!!

I did do "micro" and "macro" for you Bill!!

Hey "Sister Carol Ann", what do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment